Where is the sodium hiding?

80% of the sodium consumed by humans comes from the food industry (this is called “hidden consumption”). On the other hand, only 20% of the sodium consumed comes from the addition of salt during cooking and consumption or from the food itself.

For an adult, the main sources of sodium are: cereals and cereal products (mainly bread). This is followed by meat and meat products (bacon and ham first). And finally, cheeses, sauces, dressings, soups and condiments (pickles for example).